Monday, June 17, 2013

"Todays A New Day..."

Today was our first day of work for this week.  We had a whole new team (except the Crazy Canadian), and there were about 25 of us in all...

We worked on the same house the whole day, trying to clean up debris and chop up several trees.  It was very muddy out there (Thanks to last nights scary storm)  I was really glad that I brought mud boots! 

 
Here are a few of the guys hooking up chains to pull a stump out of a ditch, it had to be moved before the power guys could hook the lines back up...
 
Getting ready...
 
 
It pulled out nicely, but of course that's because it was done with a Dodge :) (ya, I'm a Dodge fan)
 
Me and the 'Canadian' as every one calls, her hung out most of the day. 
The guy's job was to take care of the trees, and the ladies job was to walk through a huge field and pick up trash.  The team leader's motto was, 'if it wouldn't be in your yard, it shouldn't be in theirs'!

By the end of the day we were all pretty tired!  Thankfully, it did not get too hot (high of 81degrees)l the week before this, we were working in the high 90's! 

When we first started working with SP in Tuscaloosa, I was afraid the I would not be able to do much because I did not have any skill in that field.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.

I felt like I would be more of  pain than a help, but that first day everyone was so patient with me and willing to teach me!  I can still remember laying sod just a few days before we dedicated  home in Tuscaloosa the first year, and laying tile and hardwood floor the second! I have learned and am still learning so much by working with SP, whether it is a Rebuild or Disaster Relief, I am always learning something new.

The past few weeks have had a powerful impact on me; I have seen God work miracles through our work here.  Since SP has been here, 26 people have come to know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior!

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life.

John 14:6
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I'm sad that we are leaving in a few days :(  I have had the best time working here, it was so wonderful to be able to help the people that are hurting, that need love, and to meet people from all over the US (and Canada)!




1 comment:

  1. Beth, your skills are unique. You don't have to climb trees and saw off limbs 40 feet high. Your ability to be friendly to strangers, smile when stress levels are rising, clear pads of debris, and more is sufficient. God never compares us to others. He calls us to " come just as you are". He also tells us that each of us has gifts, different, but as valuable to building the kingdom as the next. Keep learning. Keep growing. Keep answering the call to be the hands and feet of Christ!

    ReplyDelete